Monday, September 12, 2011

5 Tips to Fight Fatigue

Do you find yourself saying “I’m tired” more frequently these days? Sometimes life becomes hectic and without noticing it, we are missing meals, losing sleep, and running around like a crazy person. If you are feeling frazzled and fatigued these days, use the checklist below to get yourself back on track.


1. Sleep. Our bodies recover and heal while we are sleeping. Studies show that most people need 7-9 hours of sleep for quality rest. Lack of sleep stresses our bodies and causes us to crave carbs and sugar for energy. Research has proven that people who get less than 6 hours of sleep per night eat an average of 300 extra calories a day.

2. Be a picky eater.  Fast food and processed foods are packed with added sugars, sodium, saturated fats and preservatives. Garbage in = garbage out. Feed your body with lean protein, complex carbs and good fats, every 3-4 hours, for long lasting, sustained energy.

3. Move.  Our bodies are made to move. Regular exercise increases energy, preserves muscle mass, and improves blood flow to the brain. If you feel an energy slump mid-day, do a few jumping jacks or walk the stairs in your building toyou’re your blood flowing and increase your focus.

4. Hydrate. Dehydration can lead to fatigue. Fill a pitcher each morning, add some lemon or lime slices, and sip on it regularly. If you feel thirsty, you are already slightly dehydrated. Aim for at least 6 glasses a day.

5. Avoid sugar and alcohol.  Sugar may give you a quick energy boost at first, but it will drop you like a hot potato later. Choose snacks with a mix of protein, complex carbs and healthy fats to give you sustaining energy without spiking your insulin.
Alcohol will disrupt your sleep, so do not drink cocktails 3 hours prior to bedtime.



3 comments:

Daniella @ Runner at Heart said...

This post couldn't have come at a better time for me. I am so tired today and just can't kick it, I think it was because I was snacking on not so healthy food yesterday so my body didn't get the fuel it needed.

jillconyers said...

Great tips and I know they work! It's time for me to go back to half caf coffee in the morning :)

Have a great day!

Undercover Dieting said...

Great list!

I have recently figured out just how tired I get when I eat sugary things. I've always used that as a quick energy source (for days when I needed extra energy, not every day!). Now I see how backwards that thinking has been!