Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Cancer Fighting Grocery List


I’m always posting on my facebook page various foods to try and their health benefits. Dr. Oz put together a grocery list of cancer fighting foods that I wanted to share with you. I have listed the foods and where in the grocery store you can find them, but you can get the full details of each by going directly to the article, Shopping for the Cancer Cure. I have also added a few others found in “Chef MD’s Big Book of Culinary Medicine”, and a published article “Fisetin, a Flavanol Found in Strawberries, Grapes, Mangos and Green Tea, is Antiangiogenic”, Published online ahead of print on January 2, 2012.

Dr. Oz states, “There are cancer-fighting foods at your grocery store that contain natural substances that work by cutting off the blood supply feeding cancer cells. Without a blood supply, cancers can’t grow. This is called anti-angiogenesis (angiogenesis is the term for the process our bodies use to grow its blood vessels).”


Of course, there are many other foods, but these made the top of the list within the above mentioned sources.

 How many of these foods are on your list?

Produce section:
Arugula
Avocados
Bananas
Blueberries
Citrus Fruits
Grapes
Red Onion
Strawberries
Spinach
Tomatoes

Seafood Dept.
Shrimp
Salmon
Squid

Baking & Cooking Oils
Olive Oil
Cinnamon
Ginger – love this had to share - "The cells are tricked into digesting themselves," explains J. Rebecca Liu, assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, who has been studying ginger's effects on ovarian cancer cells.
Tumeric

Packaged/Dried
Lentils

Nuts/Seeds
Flax
Brazil Nut

Frozen Food Sect.
Squash
Peppers
Spinach
Broccoli
Many of the foods in the product section can be found in the frozen food section for less money

Dairy Sect.
Cheese

Anti-Cancer Smoothie
Ingredients

2 cups soy milk
1 cup orange juice
1 pound ripe papaya, peeled, pitted, and cubed
2 bananas, sliced
2 tablespoons honey
Ice
Sprig of fresh mint, for garnish
Directions

Place soy milk, orange juice, papaya, bananas, honey, and ice in the jar of a blender; blend until smooth. Serve garnished with mint.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so happy to see some of my grocery staples on this list! I always have blueberries, strawberries, spinach, peppers and bananas on hand, but I'm seeing some things I need to stock up on! I've been hearing a lot of good things recently about ginger--do you know any good kinds of ginger tea?

Kari said...

I eat just about every thing on this list! The only thing i do not like on this list is the soy! Soy is not a health food & shouldnt be consumed unless its organic( so its non gmo) Even than i still think its unhealthy to drink, or it needs it be fermented.

Kierston said...

So many of these are on my list! :)

I've never tried Papaya in a smoothie before! I'll have to try that!