Friday, November 18, 2011

Fitness Friday and My Birthday

It’s Fitness Friday! - and the eve of my birthday! Most of the time, my birthdays don’t bother me; but I find myself reflecting more as I approach this one. This year has gone by faster than a high-speed train, especially the last few months. Work has been crazy busy and a family member had heart surgery, so we were out of town often. So I find myself feeling a little “off”, as I try to decide how to put my “train back on track”.  I know that the first and most important thing is to be fit. But was exactly is “being fit”?
Many people will tell you that it is being physically healthy; eating clean and exercising. But I think it’s more than that. There is a mind-body connection that many overlook.
For example, athletes visualize their routines and competitions daily, in preparation for the actual event. Going over and over all the moves, feeling their muscles working exactly the way they want them to on the big day. Research has shown that the body often interprets the visualization as “action”, almost an actual event, which helps to improve their chances of success.
With this thought in mind, I believe the “being fit” is about balance. You need to be “fit” as a whole, body-mind-soul. If you are unhappy, it will appear in your body, as fatigue, a headache, depression, etc. So my goal is to be as “fit” as I can be.
New goals are to be set, with an action plan to accomplish them. More time is to be spent with family and friends; more laughter is to be heard within my own ears, and more rest is to be sought.

Here are my top five goals:
·         I will seek to find balance between work and play.
·         I will continue to eat clean, and make sure I don’t miss so many meals because of work.
·         I will take Yoga or Pilates weekly.
·         I will finish updating my blog with its new and fresh look.
·         I will finish my e-book.

Thank you for listening – I hope I have given you something to think about.

Now for more current events: Thanksgiving is almost here! I fix this recipe everything Thanksgiving; it’s great as a side dish, dessert, a breakfast treat, or even a snack!

Apple Cranberry Crisp

Makes: 6
Prep: 15 mins
Bake: 30 mins to 35 mins 375°F

Ingredients
5 cups thinly sliced peeled granny smith apples
1 pkg.  fresh cranberries
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice or ground cinnamon
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
2 tablespoons butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a 2-quart baking dish, combine apples and cranberries. In a small bowl, stir together granulated sugar and 2 tab. flour. Sprinkle over fruit mixture in baking dish; toss to coat.
In a small bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, 2 tab. flour, and 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice. Using a pastry blender or hands, cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over apple mixture.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm.


Fitness Friday Blog Hop

7 comments:

fancy nancy said...

Happy early birthday!!! I agree that there needs to be more than just eating and exercise. It needs to be a whole body, mind and all, connection! You can tell those that are fit and healthy as a way of life and those who are unhappy about it.

Kathy said...

happy birthday! I agree about the whole body/mind/life connection. I am struggling right now with not being able to run because of plantar fasciitis, and the mindset of being injured is creeping into every aspect of my life. I need to get focused on other things (nutrition, family life, etc) while trying to recover - and hopefully when I do I will be more balanced in general. I'm learning that it can't just be one thing to keep me motivated!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Happy Birthday! It is hard to find a good balance between everything sometimes, that is true! I think it's a great idea to have a list of goals, so you can visualize it and not get sidetracked.

That crisp sounds delicious!

Sweat Is My Sanity said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe I copied it so I can try it. My family loves apple crisp and I like the idea of throwing in cranberries. :) Your goals sound like good ones. I found you at the blog hop. I'll be following you on twitter and blogger. Happy Birthday!! :) Jessica

runningtobeskinny.com

jillconyers said...

Happy birthday! It was a few years ago that I truly realized the mind-body connection. Great goals and good luck with getting back on track.

XLMIC said...

Definitely agree with the connection! And I love apple crisp and the tartness of cranberries... definitely trying this recipe out :)

And... hope you had a wonderful birthday :)

Lani said...

Happy birthday! I just visited via the blog hop, and I really enjoy your content. I agree about the body-mind-soul balance. It's a YMCA/YWCA focus (body-mind-spirit), and people often focus on one of the three points of this triangle. We should all strive to strengthen each aspect!

Fit Fridays with Lani