It’s Thanksgiving - a time to remember all the things we are thankful for in our lives and a chance to make beautiful memories with family and friends.
However, for many, it’s also a time to lose control of their normal eating habits. You don’t have to wake up the Monday after, feeling guilty over the food you enjoyed. Follow a few simple rules and you can enjoy all your favorite things to eat, without regrets or a food hangover.
1. Make thanksgiving dinner just that, Dinner. Don’t indulge in an all-day free for all pig out.
2. Eat your normal breakfast, and all other scheduled meals leading up to dinner. This way you will not be starving and unable to make rational decisions. If you wish, limit your starchy carbs until dinner.
3. MOVE. That’s right – get physical. Only have 15 min.? Do an intense bodyweight circuit (squats, pushups, lunges, triceps dips, ab crunches, mountain climbers) or go for a jog/walk.
4. At dinner, only take the foods that are your true favorites, leaving the rest.
5. Portion control. First fill your plate with protein and veggies, then the starch, then dessert. Make sure you are truly hungry before taking that second helping.
6. Choose your beverages wisely. Don’t drink your calories. Choose unsweetened tea, water or wine over mixed drinks.
Most of all, keep it to a one day indulgence. Just because you have 4 days off work to spend socializing and shopping, doesn’t mean you want to forgo you normal eating habits. You will feel much better staying as close to a normal routine as possible.
I hope you all have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving!